Thursday 19 January 2017

A Comprehensive Review of Local Belizean Cookies

Tasting all the Local Belizean Cookies


When Karilyn and I went to the grocery store during our first week we ended up spending the majority of our time in the biscuits aisle. We were overwhelmed by the number of cookies to curb our sweet tooth. We originally wanted to stick to brands we knew, but instead decided to have some fun and complete a mission: to try all the local Belizean cookies that we would not be able to find in America. After 3 weeks, we have tasted all of the cookies and have come to our final conclusions.

The rules were simple:

  • Cookies had to be a brand we had not seen before in America 
  • The price had to be less than $2 BZ ($1 US)
  • We both had to try all the different types and rank which one was the best 

The results:

My FAVORITE cookie.
It was essentially a giant mallomar, but with more graham cracker and chocolate and less marshmallow
Karilyn did not share my same enthusiasm for these, and I still cannot understand why.
I am trying to calculate how many I can take home with me.... 
Both of our second favorite cookie!
These cookies has the best combination of butter, coconut and local island flavor 
These were Karilyn's favorite
These natural ginger biscuits had a strong ginger flavor that left a slight burn on the tongue.
Definitely not for the faint of heart
First bite was good, then you got a surprising lemon flavor from a cookie clearly only supposed to be chocolate and vanilla. It was strange. 
These were 7/10, a little dry but a good chocolate bite.
These were delicious! I account it to the chocolate cream surprise in the center
By far the best one of all three. I actually finished this package and threw away the others. 
The strawberry flavor tasted a bit like plastic, but I'm not surprised
This was actually one of Karilyn's other favorites 
Essentially it tasted like sugar straight from the bag
In general, this whole line of cookies is lacking filling.
We could not even taste the coconut flavor, it might as well have been vanilla 
These were the worst of all the cookies.
We ate these purely out of hunger when all of our other food options were depleted.
They are no Keebler E.L. Fudge cookie... I'd rate them a 6/10 since the buttery biscuit distracted me from the lack of filling 
Excellent blend of shortbread cookie with a faint taste of coconut. These were gone quickly. 
I wish this had a stronger chocolate taste 
I felt like I was eating a stick of butter, but at the same time they were pretty good 
I take back my previous statement about bad cookies, THESE were my least favorite cookie of them all.
They tasted like stale, understuffed knock-off oreos
Very disappointing for a cookie that has "happy" on the package

Final Thoughts

Overall, we learned that the local cookies seem to be very heavy on the butter; everything tasted like it was straight out of Paula Dean's kitchen. I personally enjoy a good buttery cookie that melts in your mouth so these did not disappoint.

We really enjoyed this descent into local cuisine (even though all of it was from a package) and decided it was a safer route than trying all the local varieties of curried goat, a Jamaican specialty 😮


2 comments:

  1. I love this post - great scientific method. Makes me want to eat cookies.

    ReplyDelete